This weekend I got the chance to see Jars of Clay for the umpteenth time, and as usual they were amazing. I have a lot of admiration for these guys. They have a truly distinctive sound and an incredible talent to write music. Their style, though uniquely theirs, has displayed the ability to adapt over the years. The songs capture the complete range of human experience, and they seem unafraid to tackle even the most complex issues. Since 2002, they have also become intimately involved with a group working in Africa to provide wells to villages without clean drinking water. Through everything, their faith in and commitment to God has been unwavering.
Recently I began to look back over my "history" with them. It's interesting to think about because though I obviously do not know them personally, I feel, in a way, as though we're friends! That may come off kind of weird, but I have a genuine point. I've been listening to their music since they began approximately 12 years ago, give or take. I still remember sitting in my 7th grade class talking to a friend about this new band called Jars of Clay. At that time I thought it impossible for a band to be both Christian and rock; but eventually I listened to it and never stopped. My first "celebrity crush" was on one of the guitar players; I was sure I would marry him one day ;)
As I look over my itunes playlist, so many individual songs bring back particular memories. It's funny how songs can do that, trigger memories and all of a sudden you're back in a moment from years ago. That's a truly beautiful thing about music. So when I say I have a history with them, my perspective is that God has used their music uncountable times to accompany me through grief, fear, joy and awe. Listening to their music is almost like chatting with an old friend or wrapping myself in a warm blanket; it brings comfort and familiarity. I'm so glad their music has been a part of my life, and I can't wait to see what their future brings.
Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like too much of a weird groupie, but if it does, oh well. I like what I like. They may be no David Crowder, but they're just right to me. I wouldn't have compared the two in the first place ;)
The crew: Katie, Nicole, Myself, and Sean-y.
Not the greatest avenue for pics, but oh well.
I've seen them enough I know what they look like!
No comments:
Post a Comment