One of my tremendous goals this summer was to read, read, read; but not only to read but to read with great comprehension. So much of the time I breeze through books and can barely remember what I read a day later. So, I've been underlining, writing in margins, journaling, pondering, and discussing with others to try and really pull something intense out of the summer. So far so good!!!! I wanted to make this blog only to encourage myself to keep it up and to see where I've been thus far......
Finished:
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder: this was a fascinating story that basically summed up the history of philosophy; it was great though because it was also set to a fiction plot involving a 14 year old girl. So, the philosophical ideas were simplified. Interestingly, though not a "Christian" book, it also talked quite a bit about Jesus and His ideas as a world-philosophical-view.
Sex God by Rob Bell: I absolutely loved this book! It was one of those gifts from God that had just the right message and came at just the right time. Rob's message brings a sense of healing and value to heartbreak. "This is really about that."
Girl Meets God by Lauren F. Winner: I sped through this book, mainly I think because I love the way Lauren writes; it's almost like reading my thoughts. Though I didn't find what I was looking for in this book, she did pose some interesting questions. I admire her exceptional courage and her obviously incredible mind.
No Greater Love by Mother Teresa: Mama T is my new best friend :) Her outlook on life is one of the simplest I've ever encountered, yet also one of the most challenging. As I've encountered difficult circumstances since reading this book, I find myself asking what would Mamma do, and in turn what about Jesus? How did He approach situations like this, what would He have done or said? I find it has helped my perspective immensely.
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse: this is the second time I've read this book, and I'm really glad I picked it up again this summer. Hesse has some moving insight into life, what is important in life, what the purpose of life is, ect. It took me awhile to get into it this time around, but it was worth the wait to get to the second half.
Currently Reading:
The Essential Gandhi by M.K.Gandhi: Gandhi is a man beyond words; his view of life and "civil-disobedience" is so inspiring to me. As I read I still feel at a loss as to how to apply his methods in today's world, but nevertheless I have so much to learn from him. Often I read a sentence that is so deep and intense I feel as though I could write an entire thesis on his one sentence! As so often is the case with the gems of human kind, I only regret that he was taken from us early. What would his advice have been for us today, how might the world be different?
Hope Rising by Kim Meeder: I have also read this book before, but it is one that inspired my career pursuit in helping kids. I read it in high school, and as I finished college I felt pulled to revisit it. It's a book written by a woman who is a Christ-follower and founded a ranch for youth with all kinds of issues. It's so moving because she tells the stories of not only the kids but also the horses (all the horses are rescued from abusive and neglectful homes). So basically she places broken kids and broken horses together and somehow God uses them to heal eachother. Someday I would love to possess the resources to do the same thing.
Mother Teresa: In My Own Words by Mother Teresa: a collection of her thoughts and quotes on various topics; some of the same material as No Greater Love, just more easily accessible. Still brilliant ;)
On the Docket:
Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge: I first read this book about a year and a half ago and it was absolutely amazing. It helped me so much in dealing with hurts and pain from past relationships/friendships that I can't really even describe in words. This has been a year and a half filled with huge changes and experiences, so I feel called to revisit this friend.
Praise habit by David A. Crowder: I absolutely adore David Crowder's music, and a friend recommended this book. From what I understand it's a collection of stories and anecdotes about various Psalms. The past 6 months the Psalms have become the bread and butter of my spiritual walk, so I'm excited to read it.
Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action by J. Matthew, M.D. Sleeth: the church I've been attending recently is focusing on Christians and our call to be warriors for the environment, something we've fallen quite short on. I'm really excited to try and circle my life around this philosophy of "God is Green." "Tree huggers for Jesus!" lol
Bridge Called Hope by Kim Meeder: This is Kim's sequel to hope Rising; I haven't yet read this one, so I can't wait to read even more stories about the kids and horses :)
A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett: this will be a bit of a break from all the serious reading. It's a novel written by Jimmy about a guy that escapes to an island/beach environment to start a new chapter of his life. I love the beach and I love jimmy, so hopefully it'll be a worthwhile read!
When I was a senior in high school I read a bunch of books and poems and wrote a 100+ self-reflective paper. It's something that gave me a huge sense of self, of who I was, what I believed, and what I wanted to do. Now, as I step out on this new chapter in life I hope to do the same. Once I get through a good number of these books I plan to sit down and write and write and write like I did 5 years ago. Who knows, maybe I'll even run down to kinkos in the middle of the night to publish like I did last time :)
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment