Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Sociological Perspective

I have a really sweet soc class this semester that has been really challenging, in both the amount of work it requires and the amount of mental effort. However, I'm beginning to see some fruit from this prof's insistence that we not only know these theories, but learn to look at our own lives through the glasses of these theories. The thing that has been really significant for me is that I've been able to start applying what I'm learning in my soc class to my faith. In my college career so far, which is basically all of it since I'm graduating in 2 months (yay!), all of my classes have cast any kind of religious faith in a very negative light. I was beginning to think that academic sociology and religion could not work together; this is changing for me now, and I'm so happy!

There are two theories specifically that I've been thinking a lot about lately, looking glass self and role play theory. Looking glass self is the idea that we form our identity based on how we think other people see us. We imagine how other people see us, we imagine how others will judge us based on this appearance, and then we form our identity based on all of this.

Role play theory states that within our society there are specific expectations that exist in different situations, and roles provide the patterns we should follow in these situations. This is pretty much common sense; any thinking adult in society is aware of certain expectations that coexist with roles . The interesting thing is that according to this theory, we often assume roles that we may not necessarily buy into; however, the patterns associated with each role that we are expected to follow seem to almost cause us to soon believe in these roles. So, for example, "the professor putting on an act that pretends to wisdom comes to feel wise, the preacher finds himself believing what he preaches, the soldier feels ready for battle by marching in formation." So, society pressures us into assuming various roles, believe in them or not, and by simply "going through the motions" we eventually fully embrace the role.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that either of these roles is 100% true and reliable; but I do think that there is truth to each, at least as I look at my own life and those around me. We seem to take those who are closest to us (parent, spouse, close friend) and begin to see ourselves the way that they see us. We internalize these judgements and use them to define who we are. Obviously, this can be a very good thing or a very bad thing. However, I grew up with amazing parents who always supported me and never gave me cause to doubt their love, and I still have doubts sometimes about how other people view/judge me. I find myself constantly wondering what other people are thinking about me, why they are thinking what I think they are thinking, and whether I should do something to try and change what I think that they are thinking; it all sounds so ridiculous!

What the heck does all this have to do with my faith? Well, as Christians all this worrying what others are thinking should be wiped away. We've all heard the good ol' Sunday school answer "God made us just as we are and loves us just as we are." That's so nice. *sigh....warm fuzzies* Sounds too easy. As I think about these two sociological theories, however, it takes on a different form. Using looking glass self, when we think about how others see us and form our self-concept based on that, we shouldn't be looking to parents, spouses, or best friends. Jesus should be the one closest to us in our lives; we should be looking at ourselves through His eyes. The implications of this are huge!!!!

I would have to see myself in a completely new way if I truly lived the idea of the looking glass self with Jesus. He sees me with nothing but perfect, unchanging love. He sees no sin; it isn't just forgiven but also forgotten, completely erased from His memory. He thinks I'm amazing, terrific, wonderful, etc. simply because I am His. Of course this doesn't mean I shouldn't strive to be better each and every day, but I shouldn't feel the need to doubt myself or judge myself based on human judgements. If I had been the only person God ever created in all of eternity, Jesus still would have chosen the cross for me. That's how much I'm worth to Him! If I form my identity based on love like that.....holy cow.

Now to play with role theory a bit: if I step into the role of the blessed daughter who never needs to doubt the love of her Father and can face the world head on with an unwavering rock, than according to role theory I will eventually begin to fulfill and believe in the role. This is hopeful to me, because it means that when I struggle, when I do have doubts, if I press on than perhaps the pattern of belief will produce true belief. (?)

Perhaps this is all junk, I don't know. I've just been throwing the ideas around a bit. But if any of it is a teeny bit true, especially using Christ as my looking glass......well, this changes everything.

*credit for spawning these thoughts goes to a message from Tony Campolo and a book by Peter Berger called Invitation to Sociology: a Humanistic Perspective

No comments: